

This morning my Grandpa Horstmann (my mom's dad) passed into heaven. He has been fighting painful arthritis and breathing problems for awhile and I guess the last few days have been especially rough for him...and the family. While I know he is in a much better place, without pain and suffering, I am grieving the loss of my grandpa. He was the patriarch of our family. He has 5 living children, 18 grandchildren and lots of great-grandchildren!! The family still gathers (as many as can be there) once a year to celebrate Christmas. We are a close-knit family and a testament to the love that trickles down from the top of the family tree.
This morning I am sad. Sad that I will not see my Grandpa again on this earth when we go back to IL to visit. Sad that I live far away and cannot comfort my mom and Grandma. Homesick for my hometown, my roots, where I came from. Homesick for my extended family and the love that will pour out in rememberance of a great man! I love you, Grandpa...
2 comments:
It is SO HARD to be so far away. Especially in times like this. I can see through your words that your family is a loving, sweet group. May you find comfort from afar. Love you!
I did not realize how much I missed the way grandpa was. We have been so used to him for the last 5 years being sick. When I heard and read other people's comments, it reminded me of how things were before he got sick.
Post a Comment