Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Follow-up w/ surgeon

Went back to see the surgeon today. He was not at all surprised by how long recovery has taken. Apparently, people w/ biliary dyskinesia (gall bladder disease w/o stones) take longer to recover. His hope is that every day I will feel a little better. I can say this is day #2 without any nausea (yea!). He also thinks that some of the bad pain last week may have been due to some bleeding into my abdomen (after all, he has me on aspirin and gave me 5000 IU of heparin the day of surgery). This possible bleeding was not at all an emergency or even a concern, but would account for the increase in pain last week.

He did say that how I feel in about 2-3 weeks once back on a normal diet is probably as good as it will get. Meaning, that if I still have some intermittent nausea or pain or some foods I don't tolerate, that it may never go away. He said that it may be that the gall bladder is only a piece of the problem (a BIG piece), but some people with biliary dyskinesia never get relieved of 100% of their pre-op symptoms.

I am clinging to the hope of a full recovery and a return to my normal diet---ALL of it. (I am not tolerating certain foods---chocolate being one of them). Yes, I know of a few friends that will be laughing about that! :) As for now, I'll slowly re-introduce foods and see what happens. I am excited that at least I'm feeling more like myself!!!

Thanks to all of my family & friends for the prayers and support through all of this!!

No comments: