Friday, April 9, 2010

So far....

I'm feeling optomistic this procedure worked. Had the ERCP yesterday and so far no sign of pancreatitis. I'm past the biggest risk for it, but still have to introduce real food into my body, which will happen later today.

The doctor found that the sphincter at the end of my bile duct (the Sphincter of Oddi) was really tight. Normal pressure is 40 and mine came in at an average of 65!!! When they put the dye in my bile duct it didn't even drain. He said he put a big cut into it to release it. So...that was the problem!!! I have a stint in my pancreatic duct to prevent pancreatitis and will have an x-ray in 2 weeks to see if it has fallen out (that is what it is supposed to do). If it doesn't fall out, they'll do an endoscope to take it out. (I'm hoping we don't have to do that.)

So, having bile backing up into my system was making me rather sick...go figure. The first GI doc I saw was reluctant to believe this was the problem and wanted to write it off as IBS. I'm glad I pushed for another doctor...a doctor I now trust more. I'm thankful that this new doctor listened and acted on my symptoms.

So...soup for lunch, ease back into "real" food over the next couple of days and my life should return to normal. Well...as normal as it can be. Watch for updates...we are moving soon!! :)

No comments: